Saturday, February 6, 2010

1941- "Dumbo"



Dumbo is a 1941 American animated film produced by Walt Disney and released on October 23, 1941, by RKO Radio Pictures.
The fourth film in the Walt Disney Animated Classics series, Dumbo is based upon a child's book of the same name by Helen Aberson and illustrated by Harold Pearl.[1] The main character is Jumbo Jr., a semi-anthropomorphic elephant who is cruelly nicknamed Dumbo. He is ridiculed for his big ears, but in fact he is capable of flying by using his ears as wings. Throughout most of the film, his only true friend, aside from his mother, is the mouse, Timothy — a relationship parodying the stereotypical animosity between mice and elephants.
Dumbo was made to recoup the financial losses of Fantasia. It is considered to be one of Disney's finest films. It was a deliberate pursuit of simplicity and economy for the Disney studio, and is now generally regarded as a classic of animation. At 64 minutes, it is one of Disney's shortest animated features. -Information from wikipedia.org
Having not seen this movie in many years, I forgot about the song "Look Out for Mr. Stork". It was in a sing-along video I used to watch all the time. I feel so sad for Mrs. Jumbo watching everyone else get a baby, but she eventually gets hers.
"Casey Jr." was one of my favorite songs as a kid. I was thinking to myself that it reminded me of The Little Engine That Could. After that, I hear the train saying "I think I can! I think I can!" I thought that was really funny.
STERLING HOLLOWAY IS THE VOICE OF THE STORK THAT BRINGS DUMBO! LOL I love Sterling Holloway and all his work he did for Disney. Baby Dumbo is the cutest little thing!
I always hated the part where the kids are making fun of Dumbo and his mother gets upset. They lock her up and label her as a "mad elephant". She was only trying to protect her baby!
I seriously cried when the other elephants wouldn't even let Dumbo eat with them. The poor little guy! Luckily, he meets Timothy, the mouse. I love Timothy's New York accent!
"Baby of Mine" is a very precious song and I started crying more cause Dumbo couldn't be with his mommy.
I aways thought Dumbo getting drunk and dreaming about "pink elephants on parade" was a bit disturbing. They remind me of "heffalumps" from Winnie the Pooh. I also find it comical that Timothy wakes up in the tree with a hangover.
No one can forget the crows!! That is the best song and best scene in that movie by far! I remember having it on tape and listening to the song over again. Haha!
Dumbo is a great movie! Not one of my favorites, cause it made me sad most of the time. But I recommend it to any Disney fan, cause it is part of Disney history.

No comments:

Post a Comment