Thursday, February 4, 2010

1940- "Pinocchio"


"Pinocchio"-Pinocchio is a 1940 American animated film produced by Walt Disney and based on the story Pinocchio: Tale of a Puppet by Carlo Collodi. The second film in the Walt Disney Animated Classics, it was made after the success of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and was released to theaters by RKO Radio Pictures on February 7, 1940.

The plot of the film involves a wooden puppet named Pinocchio being brought to life by a blue fairy, who tells him he can become a real boy if he proves himself "brave, truthful, and unselfish". Thus begin the puppet's adventures to become a real boy, which involve many encounters with a host of unsavory characters.

The film was adapted by Aurelius Battaglia, William Cottrell, Otto Englander, Erdman Penner, Joseph Sabo, Ted Sears, and Webb Smith from Collodi's book. The production was supervised by Ben Sharpsteen and Hamilton Luske, and the film's sequences were directed by Norman Ferguson, T. Hee, Wilfred Jackson, Jack Kinney, and Bill Roberts. -Information from wikipedia.org

Dickie Jones was the voice of Pinocchio. He was successful as a child in B- Westerns and television. Pinocchio was his most famous role.

I used to rent Pinocchio all the time from the video store until my parents got it for me as one of my Easter presents. I watched it repeatedly, but never fully understood what was going on. This film has a lot of insight on morals, values, and knowing the difference between right and wrong.

I find it odd that everyone else is human except for Honest John and Gideon. I'm assuming cause he's supposed to be "sly as a fox". It used to scare me when he would yell and scream inside his hat.

I alway feel so bad for Geopetto when he goes searching for Pinocchio. I think Disney really captured the image of a lonely old man, longing for a son. He only has him for a few hours, then loses him and believes that he is being a good boy.

Pleasure Island is FRIGHTENING! I'm surprised Pinocchio hasn't been banned from certain libraries or video stores. There are kids smoking, drinking, and destroying houses for fun. They say "jackass" then turn into one. The boys who turn into donkeys are then sold off. I also think that Lampwick's donkey transformation is a little intense for children.

Pinocchio is a great film, and teaches some great lessons. I recommend it to everyone cause it truly is a Disney classic!


No comments:

Post a Comment